Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious, hearty Indian snack, baked instead of deep fried. Serve with (mango)chutney and the raita(s) of your choice. To go vegan substitute ghee/butter with (canola)oil and use vegan puff pastry.
- 400 g puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 5 potatoes (medium sized to large)
- 100 g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 gingerroot (about thumb sized, peeled and grated)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 -3 teaspoons butter (or ghee)
- Cook potatoes (20-25min.), rinse with cold water, peel and mash (leave chunky).
- Heat 2 teaspoons of ghee, add garlic, grated ginger and onion and let fry until translucent. Add spices and let toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add peas and transfer mixture to potatoes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut puff pastry into squares (you should get about 16-20).
- Melt the rest of ghee (or butter) and brush the pastry squares.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Fill the pastry squares with a generous teaspoon of potatoefilling and form into triangles. Press ends tightly togehter using your fingers or a fork.
- Brush triangles with ghee.
- Transfer your samosa triangles to a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and let bake until golden brown (usually 15-20 min.) at 200°C.