Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 5 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp
- Bake potatoes until tender.
- Cool, cut into cubes.
- Melt butter or margarine in large saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and cook over med heat 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Heat milk in separate pan.
- Slowly stir warm milk into flour mixture, whisking to maintain smooth texture.
- Heat through over medium burner but do not boil.
- Add potatoes, grated cheese, and sour cream.
- Heat until cheese is melted and potatoes are warmed through.
- Stir in green onion and bacon, reserving a little for garnish if desired.
- Serve hot.
This was easy to make and very good. You can save yourself a step by not heating the milk in a different pan. I just added the milk a cup or 2 at a time, wisking it as I went.
This was good and very rich. It had a nice thick chowdery consistency too.
Perfect in every respect! Love this soup-I have made this exact recipe many times from TOH. I used leftover baked potatoes for this and it worked fine. Thanks for sharing, Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game.