1/2 Photos of Baked Pork and Apple Meatballs (Gary Rhodes)
1 hr 5 mins
A super Gary Rhodes recipe! Oh so GOOD and a bit different for that weekday meal. I like to serve this with mashed potatoes and a green veggie. I always double this because it is delicious dish that is also great for OAMC. I have modified this to omit the prunes as hubby wasn’t fond of them the first time I prepared this. I also omitted the suet because I feel it just adds more fat to the recipe. If you want to make this exactly like Gary’s recipe, add 6 chopped ready to eat prunes and 4 oz. shredded suet when adding the apples and egg to the minced pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Cut apples into 1/2” pieces and set aside.
- 3Melt butter in frying pan and cook onions gently for a few minutes until transparent.
- 4Add nutmeg and cinnamon to the onions and cook for a minute or so.
- 5Remove from heat and add sage; set aside to cool.
- 6Add the apple pieces, egg and ground pork to the onion mixture once it has cooled; season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- 7Roll mixture into 12 meatballs.
- 8In a clean frying pan, brown the meatballs in 1 tablespoon of butter making sure to turn carefully so they do not break apart.
- 9Put the browned meatballs into an ovenproof casserole dish.
- 10Pour the white wine into a saucepan and boil until it reduces down to about 1/2.
- 11Stir in the chicken stock; pour liquid over meatballs.
- 12Place in the oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
- 13Remove meatballs carefully from casserole dish and keep warm.
- 14Skim any fat off of the juices left in the pan.
- 15Optional: Use the cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with a bit of cold water and whisk into the juices for a thicker sauce.
- 16Serve meatballs with the sauce drizzled over top.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Pork and Apple Meatballs (Gary Rhodes)
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.0
- Calories from Fat 506
- Total Fat 56.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 227.6 mg
- Sodium 308.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 42.5 g