Real Simple Magazine, November 2006 edition. Update: 12/09/2009 you can use a large portabella mushroom the way that susie cooks did. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups instant polenta
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs cremini mushrooms or 1 1/2 lbs button mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1Heat oven to 350°F.
- 2Bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- 3Whisking constantly, slowly add the polenta.
- 4Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and the butter.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 6Stir in the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the Gorgonzola.
- 7Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- 8Add half the mushrooms and cook for 6 minutes.
- 9Add half the shallots and cook for 2 minutes more.
- 10Transfer to a plate.
- 11Repeat with the remaining oil, mushrooms, and shallots.
- 12Season the mushrooms with the pepper, thyme, and the remaining salt.
- 13Butter an 8 or 9-inch baking dish or eight 6-ounce ramekins.
- 14Stir 2/3 of the mushrooms into the polenta and transfer to the prepared dish or ramekins.
- 15Top with the remaining mushrooms and Gorgonzola.
- 16Bake, uncovered, until the Gorgonzola has melted, about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Polenta With Mushrooms and Gorgonzola
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.7
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 43.2 mg
- Sodium 960.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: