Kozmic Blues's Note:
This is a different twist on my family's old favorite: Baked Penne. This recipe is also meatLESS, which I like, but I am sure you can improvise and add ground meat or sausage if you prefer. This is great for potlucks or parties because it can easily be made ahead of time. I saw a version of this made on 30 Minute Meals, but I prefer to make my own pesto sauce from scratch, because I am not too fond of the store bought. To save time, please feel free to use store bought pesto. I also chose to use whole wheat pasta in this as well. Because of the great flavors of pesto, cheese and tomatoes, I find that it is easy to sub whole wheat pasta, even for folks who might be skeptical.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb plain pasta or 1 lb whole wheat pasta (penne, ziti, shells or corkscrews work well)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup basil pesto (I use Basil Pesto "Lighter" Version-Basil Pesto - "Lighter Version")
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/2 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- 2Preheat your pot for the tomato sauce over medium heat.
- 3Add olive oil, then garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Next add the diced onion, crushed red pepper, bay leaf, and saute for about 5 minutes, or until onion soft and fragrant.
- 5Add the crushed tomatoes and stir well.
- 6When tomatoes begin to boil, reduce heat to low, add fresh basil leaves, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Let sauce simmer while you make your pesto (if not using store bought).
- 8Preheat broiler.
- 9Add pasta to boiling water and cook until just barely al dente.
- 10Drain pasta, and toss with 1 cup of your pesto sauce, 1/2 cup parmesan, and 1 cup of the ricotta cheese, be sure to blend well.
- 11Add pasta to a casserole dish.
- 12Top with the tomato basil sauce.
- 13You don't need to use all of the sauce, but rather serve the extra on the side.
- 14Top casserole with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 15Place under broiler for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- 16**Note:Casserole can be assembled ahead of time, covered with foil, and then reheated in a 350 degree oven until heated through.
- 17Remove foil for last 5-10 minutes in order to melt cheese.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Pesto Pasta With Tomato & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.2
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 41.7 mg
- Sodium 690.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 29.3 g