Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Calories are cut by baking these mozzarella sticks instead of deep frying, but all the great flavor is still there!
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons melted butter
- Cut cheese in 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" sticks.
- Toss with flour and set aside.
- In small bowl, beat together eggs and water and set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Dip sticks in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.
- Repeat this process.
- Place on a plate in a single layer, cover with foil and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cheese sticks on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes.Flip after 5 minutes.
- Heat a little spaghetti sauce to use for dipping.
Oh wow, these were an absolute hit at my house last night! I used low fat string cheese, 1/2 breadcrumbs and 1/2 panko. I DID double dip the sticks as instructed in step 6. I felt that was a vital step as not much of the crumb mixture stuck the first time I dipped them. I sprayed with olive oil instead of drizzling with butter and these were SUPERB! Kids wanted me to make more after they devoured the first one. Thanks so much for sharing! Low fat, healthy and delish! I will be making these quite often.
I didn't have any italian seasoning so just used garlic powder and basil. I baked them for 10 minutes and they had all run together so I'd suggest you keep an eye on them... they still tasted great though!
Too much Italian seasoning should cut down by half, needs salt. I had to broil them to turn them golden brown.