Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the classic southern comfort food with a new twist on it.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- -Cook macaroni according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain again.
- -Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray or grease 13x9x2 inch casserole dish.
- -Whisk together flour and 1/2°C milk in medium saucepan until smooth and no lumps remain. Add remaining milk, onion, garlic, mustard, salt & pepper. Cook mixture over medium heat while stirring continuously until mixture is thick and begins to boil. Once it begins to boil remove from heat.
- -Gently fold in cheddar and parmesan cheese, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce into mixture.
- -Combine the cheese and macaroni in large bowl. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- -Bake in oven for 15min. In the meantime combine bread crumbs, paparika & melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over casserole. Return to oven and bake for 10-15min. or until bubbly and browned.