Chef #964638's Note:
This casserole dish hits the spot when you are in the mood for some comfort food. Serve right away for the best flavor and texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces uncooked twisted pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt, for pasta cooking water
- 10 ounces broccoli, small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- 4In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and whisk in Cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- 6Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumb mixture. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.5
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 690.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 15.0 g