Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This casserole dish hits the spot when you are in the mood for some comfort food. Serve right away for the best flavor and texture.
- 12 ounces uncooked twisted pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, for pasta cooking water
- 10 ounces broccoli, small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumb mixture. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Very good, rich and very filling! DH loves mac and cheese, so anyway to get a veggie in with it works for me! I added some left over ham and made it a complete meal. Only made 1/2 recipe as there were only 3 of us having lunch. I will make this again. Thanks for posting. Made for My 3 Chefs 2008.