Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this adaptation of the Good Housekeeping Recipe.
- 2 quarts water
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups Velveeta cheese (cubed into 1/4-inch chunks)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil water with 1 tsp salt in 3-qt saucepan.
- Add macaroni and cook until tender but firm.
- Grease 2-qt baking dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In 1-qt saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter and toss in breadcrumbs.
- Set aside.
- In 2-qt saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minute.
- Blend in flour, mustard, pepper and 1 tsp salt.
- Stir in milk; cook until thickened - stirring continuously. Remove from heat, stir in cheese.
- Pour macaroni into baking dish and pour cheese over macaroni.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered.
This is a great basic baked mac and cheese. I did find that the cheese was too much for the noodles called for so I cooked more noodles before baking. Everything came out perfect in 20 minutes from the oven. Thanks for sharing a great go-to recipe. Made & reviewed through Bargain Basement tag game.