Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the macaroni & cheese that I grew up on. It's still my favorite. I like the cheese on top crispy. It is almost like Anthony Bourdain's mom made. Hope you enjoy it too.
- 1 lb shell macaroni (large or medium shells)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups milk
- Cook shells in boiling water until barely al-dente.
- Drain well.
- Heat oven to 400 deg.F and grease a 13 x 9 inches baking dish.
- Put about 1/3 of the shells in prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, pepper and 1/3 of the cheese. Dot with 1/ tbsp butter. Repeat layers twice more, ending with the remaining cheese. Don't push down on the shells or it will make it too dense. Pour milk over top.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how crisp you like the top.
This was good and just like my mom use to make. I did cut back to three cups of milk and would cut it down to two cups next time. I didn't measure the salt and pepper. Mine took over an hour to cook. I made this grilled sausage and we all enjoyed it.
Delish! I, too, mix the butter and pasta together before layering. So easy!
sounds great; can't wait to try it!