Mac and cheese is one of the all-time comfort foods. When my kids' taste finally outgrew the boxed stuff, I came up with this recipe to satisfy their need for cheese (my daughter, in particular, is a cheese junkie). I'm sure this recipe contains influences from my Mother and Grandmother. It goes great with other comfort food staples like meatloaf, roast, pork roast, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Whisk flour into melted butter to create a light roux (paste).
- Slowly whisk milk into the roux, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Allow milk and roux to heat for about one minute, then begin adding the Velveeta.
- Continue to gently whisk the mixture until all Velveeta has melted, then add a pinch of white or black pepper.
- After macaroni has cooked, drain the water from the pot and mix in the cheese sauce.
- Once the macaroni and sauce are mixed together, transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle 1 or 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese over the top and bake for 5 more minutes, or until cheddar cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.