Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a tasty way to make chicken nuggets at home! My kids like things with a kick, so they enjoy these, but if yours don't then simply omit the red pepper!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Trim any fat from chicken and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the water and add the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, combine the parsley, thyme, red pepper, bread crumbs, wheat germ, basil and ground pepper.
- Stir in the oil with a fork and mix well to distribute evenly.
- Pour seasoning mixture into a large, resealable plastic bag and add the chicken pieces (without the eggs and water); shake to coat.
- Place coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes, turn the pieces and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
I omitted the red pepper (because my pickiest child will not touch it!) and these turned out quite nicely. I liked the wheat germ flavor a lot, but I didn't think this made quite enough coating for 4 chicken breasts. We enjoyed them a lot, though! Thanks KC! I'm so glad I took your dare, it made for a good kid friendly meal with some baked fries.