Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Has a nice fruity sauce to go with. Prep time does not include putting in refrigerator overnight.
- 12 slices French bread (1-inch)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Pear Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ripe pears, thinly sliced,cored
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- Spray a 12 x 8 inch casserole or baking dish with nonstick spray or lightly grease with butter.
- Arrange slices of bread across bottom of dish, completely covering bottom (squeeze in more if the bottom shows).
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, half and half, sugar and nutmeg; beat well.
- Pour evenly over the bread, then cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Uncover, and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce, by melting butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pears, and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine water and cornstarch, blending well; add honey and cornstarch to the pears and cook 2 minutes, stirring, or until mixture thickens and is bubbly.
- Serve sauce over French toast.