Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A twist to the stand-by French onion soup. This will actually give you some beef in it.
Make and share this Baked French Onion and Steak Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb rib eye steak, bone in
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs vidalia onions, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons beef base
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 2inch slices
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use 2 teaspoons olive oil to coat the bottom of a stainless steel oven-safe frying pan.
- Lightly salt and pepper the steak on both sides; place in skillet with the oil.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce over steak and add 1/2 cup water into bottom of pan.
- Place the pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from oven.
- Transfer steak to cutting board.
- Reduce oven heat to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the fat and bone from the meat.
- Return fat and bone to pan with the drippings still in it.
- Add 4 cups water.
- Heat to boiling and scrape any bits from bottom of the pan.
- Boil for about 15 minutes.
- In another stockpot melt 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. add onions.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook slowly, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Chop the cooled steak in small pieces and add to onion.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat and onions and mix through.
- Strain the liquid in the pan into the onions in the stock pot.
- Add remaining water; add the beef base.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 15 minutes.
- CROUTONS: Melt the butter with the garlic clove in a small saucepan and cook on low 5 minutes.
- Brush both sides of French bread slices.
- Place in 250 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn over and cook another 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly.
- Cut each into 6 pieces.
- Place 4 or 5 croutons in soup crocks; ladle soup over.
- Top with a slice of provolone cheese and a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted and starts to brown.