Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fennel also known as Anise because of it 's taste. Like celery, it is filling and yet very low in calories, so that it provides an excellent snack food for those watching their weight. Baking brings out a nice sweetness.
- 3 heads fennel, Sliced in quarters cutting out dense core reserving the leaves for garnish
- 1 medium onion, cut into slices
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup hot chicken stock or 1⁄3 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 pinch saffron, about 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place fennel, onion and garlic into an oiled baking dish using the 2 tablespoons oil.
- Combine saffron, chicken broth and white wine and pour over fennel season with salt and pepper. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. If desired, uncover the baking dish toward the end of the cooking time, to allow any excess liquid to evaporate.
- Garnish with the fennel fronds (feathery greens from the fennel).