Blue Cheese Baked Fennel
photo by BarbryT
- Ready In:
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces mild blue cheese (e.g. Cambozola, Grinzola, Dolcelatte, Gorgonzola)
- 4 tablespoons mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sesame, sunflower or 4 tablespoons linseeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim the green tops of the fennel bulbs and cut the bulbs in half.
- Use a little of the oil to grease a baking dish. Arrange the bulbs in the dish, with the flat sides uppermost.
- Use a pastry brush (or clean fingers!) to "baste" the fennel with the remaining oil. This will stop it from burning during roasting.
- Mix the seeds together and grind well.
- Crumble the cheese and mix with the seeds. It will form a kind of paste.
- Smooth ¼ of the paste on top of each fennel half.
- Roast for 30 minutes, until the fennel has softened and the topping is starting to go brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very unusual and lovely! I am one of those who does not like raw fennel but roasted is delicious and the seeds and blue cheese topping on these is outstanding! Even though small, mine took longer to become tender (more like 40-45 minutes) and they did not brown as much as I expected. One might run them under a broiler for a minute at the end. I recommend these to anyone who likes blue cheese. 9-22-08 I am back to add another star. These are even better microwave-reheated for lunch the next day.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)