1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A dish inspired by Spain that is ideal for supper or brunch. Sometimes I make it as a dip and served with pita without the eggs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup green lentil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 lb tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine, pale dry
- 1Bring the lentils to the boil in a large kettle of water and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes until soft. Drain.
- 2Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and fry the onion, garlic and peppers gently until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Mix in the cooked lentils and the tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf and water. Season well. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 10-15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is fairly thick.
- 4Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 5Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased ovenproof dish, removing the bay leaf. Make four slight hollows with the back of a spoon. Break in the eggs. Sprinkle with the sherry, cover and bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg whites are firm.
- 6Serve at once, garnished with the parsley sprigs.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggs With Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.6
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 83.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 14.4 g