Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 16 mins
In 'Sunday Brunch' by Betty Rosbottom
Make and share this Baked Eggnog French Toast With Cranberries and Apples recipe from Food.com.
Glazed Cranberries and Apples
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 1/4 lb.)
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen, thawed and patted dry)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus more if needed
Eggnog French Toast
- 12 thick slices bread, cut on a sharp diagonal, from a day-old baguette
- 2 1⁄2 cups purchased eggnog
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ground cinnamon, a pinch
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- For cranberries and apples--whisk together the apple cider, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan set over high heat.
- Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk in 4 tbsp of the butter until melted.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 4 tbsp butter in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the apples and saute, stirring 2 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and sugar, and stir until the cranberries begin to pop, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the reduced cider mixture and cook until the mixture has reduced to a syrup-like consistency, about 6 minutes.
- Taste and stir in more sugar, if desired.
- For the eggnog french toast--arrange the bread slices in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggnog, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 450°.
- Butter a large, rimmed baking sheet with some of the melted butter.
- Using a metal spatula, transfer the bread slices to the baking sheet.
- Brush the bread with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then turn and bake until golden brown on the outside, and still soft inside, 5-6 minutes.
- Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Arrange two slices on each of six dinner plates and mound the warm fruits on top.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar and serve.