Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'Sunday Brunch' by Betty Rosbottom
Make and share this Baked Eggnog French Toast With Cranberries and Apples recipe from Food.com.
Glazed Cranberries and Apples
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 1/4 lb.)
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen, thawed and patted dry)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus more if needed
Eggnog French Toast
- 12 thick slices bread, cut on a sharp diagonal, from a day-old baguette
- 2 1⁄2 cups purchased eggnog
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ground cinnamon, a pinch
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- For cranberries and apples--whisk together the apple cider, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a large heavy saucepan set over high heat.
- Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk in 4 tbsp of the butter until melted.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 4 tbsp butter in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat until hot.
- Add the apples and saute, stirring 2 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and sugar, and stir until the cranberries begin to pop, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the reduced cider mixture and cook until the mixture has reduced to a syrup-like consistency, about 6 minutes.
- Taste and stir in more sugar, if desired.
- For the eggnog french toast--arrange the bread slices in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggnog, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Arrange a rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 450°.
- Butter a large, rimmed baking sheet with some of the melted butter.
- Using a metal spatula, transfer the bread slices to the baking sheet.
- Brush the bread with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then turn and bake until golden brown on the outside, and still soft inside, 5-6 minutes.
- Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Arrange two slices on each of six dinner plates and mound the warm fruits on top.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar and serve.