Recipe by Happy Hippie
I found this recipe in a little cookbook entitled "Green Thumbs in the Kitchen." It is almost exactly like the one already posted which is why I added the Roman Numeral II to the title. The only variation is the addition of grated cheese to the topping. For those of you who are cabbage lovers as I am, this is terrific, low calorie and diabetic-friendly.
Top Review by BeaJae
This is a wonderful recipe. My mom used make creamed cabbage for us when I was a kid. This is the first time I had it in 50 years and it tasted just as good as hers. And my picky husband who would not eat cooked cabbage in any form had 3 helpings. I made it just as the recipe is written. Thank you!
- 1 medium cabbage, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup water, salted
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I also add ground black pepper, but it's not part of the recipe)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (I use low fat)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated (your favorite)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Simmer the cabbage in water in a large saucepan for 9 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain well.
- Place cabbage in a 9x13" casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt margarine.
- Add flour and salt and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the milk and continue stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly browned.