Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a favorite recipe for breakfast or dessert.Its easy to prepare,and is delicious with fresh fruit. Also a tablespoon of orange zest whisked into the egg mixture adds a nice flavor twist.
- 14 slices cinnamon-swirl bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 6 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Arrange bread in a double layer in a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- (cut bread as needed to cover bottom of pan.) Whisk togather eggs,egg yolks and sugar.
- Gradually add milk, half and half and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over bread.
- Bake in a 375-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar while warm and serve.
Very good. I reduced number of servings to 5.3 for DH and I. We both enjoyed it. I also used cinnamon raisin bread. I will make this again! Thank you for posting!!! Made for Fall My 3 Chefs 08.
This was a quick & easy week-night dessert! I scaled the recipe in half (used 2 yolks), sprinkled with cinnamon/nutmeg before baking and served with vanilla ice cream. I found that the upper layer of bread was drying out while the lower level was still uncooked - so I did some "flipping" to compensate for this. Thanx Tearanii!
This was the best custard I've ever had. Made it for breakfast this morning and everyone raved about it. I added a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top of the powdered sugar, and it really enhanced the flavor. Will definately be making this again!