Recipe by mary winecoff
Add a green salad and a piece of fruit for a simple dinner.
Top Review by JenniferK2
Wonderful flavor! Will definitely make again, though I think I may alter it a bit. I think I will just skip the butter and wine for the pan and bake it with just the toppings. This way it will have the flavor, but the bread will be crisp rather than soggy on the bottom. Went great with soup and salad. Made for 1-2-3 Tag.
- 2 cups gruyere or 2 cups emmenthaler cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 slices country bread or 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 dash cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix the cheese, eggs and half the wine and spread the mixture over the bread.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet large enough to hold all four slices.
- Swirl in the remaining wine, then settle the bread into the pan. Add cayenne.
- Bake until the cheese melts, 12 to 13 minutes.