Recipe by Juenessa
This recipe comes from Southern Living Magazine, January 2006. As you can see from the picture I posted with this recipe, I added some chopped green chilis to my grits. This is not in the original recipe and the grits are wonderful without them.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking grits (uncooked)
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, and, if desired, Worcestershire sauce, stirring until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat, and stir in eggs.
- Pour grits into a lightly greased 2-quart or 11- x 8-inch baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and set.