Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I learned about cheese grits when I moved to the Ozarks. This recipe from Southern Living is one of the best. Makes a great potluck dish or a side to an elegant meal!
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits or 1 1⁄4 cups stone-ground grits
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring until cheeses melt. Remove from heat and stir in eggs.
- Pour grits into a lightly greased 2 quart, or 11 x 8" baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until golden and set.