Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another one of my favorite ways to enjoy cabbage.
- 1 large green cabbage, about 3 - 3 1/2 lbs, coarsley chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gouda cheese, can use cheddar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 cup crushed cracker (or crushed croutons)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a large casserole dish; set aside.
- Cook the cabbage and onion in boiling salted water for 7-8 minutes; drain.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the cream, shredded cheese, salt, pepper and celery seeds. Toss this micture with the cooked, drained cabbage mixture.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix together melted butter and crushed crackers/croutons. Evenly sprinkle over the cabbage casserole.
- Bake at 350, uncovered for about 25 minutes.
I think the gouda, cabbage mixture didn't wow me the way I thought it might. However, both my husband and I enjoyed this and ate up every bite.
YUMMMM! what a great recipe for cabbage, I only had a very small amount of gouda cheese, so I used half gouda and hald cheddar, this is soooooo delicious! thanks Parsley, I know I will make this again very soon!...Kitten:)
I love cabbage and as soon as I noticed this recipe I knew I had to make it. I was not dissappointed! My DH and I both loved this dish. I made it exactly as the recipe stated, using gruyere cheese and crushed ritz crackers on top. It made quite alot so we had the leftovers the next day heated up on my non-stick pan and wow, it tasted even better! Thanks so much for a great recipe!