1 hr 10 mins
I do love food blogs, and I do love pears. When I came across this recipe on a favorite blog I knew the Gods of Serendipity were smiling down on me that day, even more so that I had too many ripe pears in the house at the moment. I've made a few changes to suit my own tastes, listed in the recipe below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans (original recipe uses walnuts)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (original recipe uses softened butter)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups finely grated finely grated ripe firm pears (original recipe says to use peeled pears, I figure what's a little extra fiber)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350° F (175 C in my house).
- 2Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or two 9″x 5″loaf pans. I use my silicon fluted tube pan and don't grease or flour.
- 3Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- 4Scoop out about 1/4 cup of this mixture and combine it with nuts to coat.
- 5Stir back into the flour mixture.
- 6In a separate bowl, combine butter, eggs, sugar, pears, and vanilla.
- 7Add the pear mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until flour disappears and batter is evenly moistened. Don't overdo it, you want everything JUST moistened.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until bread is browned and firm on top. A pick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- 9Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then, remove from pan and place top side up on a plate or wire rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bake or Break Pear Cake
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 243.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g