Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From islandflave.com. Cooking time is chill time
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded coconut, fresh or packaged
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3 drops almond extract
- In a small saucepan, scald milk.
- Place 2 cups coconut in a sieve. Pour hot milk over coconut while holding sieve over large bowl to catch liquid. Use the back of a spoon to squeeze all of the milk out of the coconut.
- In a large saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar, and cream of tartar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and add beaten egg yolk. Beat well with a spoon.
- Stir in remaining coconut and add 2 or 3 drops almond extract. Taste and add more extract if desired.
- Pour into 2 pie pans or pyrex dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer.
- Remove coconut ice from freezer after 4 hours and break apart with a fork.
- Serve immediately.
This is really good! Easy to put together. The flavour is wonderful with the almond extract. I was a little confused re: the first 2 cups of coconut. The directions didn't mention to add it or leave it out. I did leave it out and only added the remaining 1 cup of coconut. Maybe that is why it really didn't freeze solid. Next time I will put all 3 cups in and try that. But in either case it is very gooda. Thank you for sharing Az G...made this for ZWT5 for the GroovyGastronomes.