Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an extremely tasty casserole thats fairly easy to prepare...a delicious ground beef/bean and cheese filling layered on corn tortillas...yummy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansready-cut tomatoes
- 1 (3 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 2⁄3 cups canned pinto beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 -3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9" baking dish OR a casserole dish.
- In a skillet, saute ground beef with onion and garlic (if using), until meat is no longer pink; drain any fat.
- Add in tomatoes, chopped chilies, mushrooms, Pinto beans, chili powder and cumin, mix slightly; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In a baking dish, arrange a single layer of tortilla strips.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the tomato mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese over the tortillas strips.
- Set aside a little of the cheese for the top Repeat layers.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, spread a layer of sour cream over the top of casserole, and sprinkle with any remaining reserved cheese.