Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Same old story: home from the farmers' market, bag of produce, and no dinner plan. Here you go. I prefer square pan pizza to round. I tried to specify measurements but I don't measure when making pizza-my apologies. A little of this, a little of that....have fun!
- 1 pizza crust, see Easy Peezy Pizza Dough (Bread Machine Pizza Dough) (I used ratio of 2 cups white flour/1 cup whole wheat flour. Also add 1/2 teaspoon fennel.)
- 1 medium onion, sliced into crescents
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety
- 1⁄2 tablespoon elephant garlic, minced (roasted is even better)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4-1 cup imported cheese, grated (I always use a combination of whatever cheese I have on hand ( romano, myzithra, feta, parmesan, etc)
- 2 firm tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- freshly grated black pepper
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, coarsely chopped (can sub hazelnuts, walnuts or almonds)
- Prepare the pizza dough as indicated in recipe (link) above, up until the point before baking the dough.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- First, saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic for about 2 minutes or just until softened. Add the spinach and "cook down" for about 2 minutes, but no longer, stirring often. You don't want the spinach slimery or soggy. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Make the pesto sauce by whirling the ingredients in a blender about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- NOTE: for the pizza dough I place the dough in a 18 x 13 x 1 inch aluminum cookie sheet. Prick the dough in random places all over with fork tines. (This allows the olive-y oil-y goodness to seep into the dough.).
- Begin by spreading the pesto sauce onto the dough, making sure the edges of the dough are covered witht the pesto to avoid drying out. Spread on the sauteed mushroom/spinach mixture and finally add 2/3 of the grated cheese.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top, then the olives, pine nuts, oregano, black pepper, and remaining cheese. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake in preheated over at 425 degrees for about 18 minutes, turning 1/2 turn after 9 minutes for even cooking. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut up into squares and serve.
- Cooking time does not include preparing the pizza dough.
Superb! I grew up on a similar pizza especially duting Lent. Fantastic! Yia Yia did the same in measuring little this little that but after years of training mine is almost as good. I never did the wheat before this one and I have to say it was great. Will continue to do it like this as I invested in lots of wheat flour for breads. YUM