1/2 Photos of Bacon-Wrapped Filet Mignon With Horseradish Sauce
Galley Wench's Note:
This is Cook's Illustrated method of cooking a filet mignon. If you're cooking for someone who insists on well-done steaks, use a thinner cut of meat. I recently cut small steaks from a petite fillet and cooked in this manner and they were fantastic . . . so cute too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) center-cut filet mignon, 1 1/2 inches thick, 7 to 8 ounces each, dried thoroughly with paper towels
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2At least two hours prior, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, mustard and lemon juice; cover and place in refrigerator.
- 4Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place rimmed baking sheet or cast iron griddle on oven rack, and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 5When oven reaches 450 degrees, heat 10-inch heavy-bottomed skillet (not nonstick) over high heat on stovetop until very hot, about 3 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, rub each side of steaks with 1/2 teaspoon oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 7Wrap 1 slice bacon around circumfrence of each filet, overlapping ends and securing to meat with toothpick.
- 8Place steaks in skillet and cook, without moving steaks, until well-browned and a nice crust has formed, about 3 minutes.
- 9Turn steaks with tongs and cook until well-browned and a nice crust has formed on second side, about 3 minutes longer. (watch carefully).
- 10Hold filets on their sides briefly with tongs in skillet to crisp bacon slightly.
- 11Remove pan from heat, and use tongs to transfer steaks to hot baking sheet in oven (which has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking oil).
- 12Roasting times:.
- 13Very Rare: 2 to 4 minutes (center of steaks will appear cherry red and feel very soft and loose when cut with tip of paring knife),.
- 14Rare: 4 to 6 minutes (centers will appear red and soft),.
- 15Medium Rare: 6 to 8 minutes (centers will appear pink and feel firm but juicy).
- 16Medium: 8 to 10 minutes (centers will appear light pink and feel firm and compact).
- 17Transfer steaks to large plate; loosely tent with foil, and let rest about 5 minutes before serving.
- 18Serve with horseradish sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon-Wrapped Filet Mignon With Horseradish Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 947.9
- Calories from Fat 721
- Total Fat 80.1 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 194.4 mg
- Sodium 589.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 45.1 g