1/2 Photos of Bacon-Wrapped Baked Onions
1 hr 40 mins
This may take a little time to make but well worth the little extra effort, very impressive to serve to your dinner guests, this is one of the best recipes for baked onions you will ever have! The onions may be boiled and the insides removed ahead of time and refrigerated to finish filling and baked later. The original recipe called for only for 4 onions, but I increased and "tweaked" the recipe slightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 onions (about the size of a tennis ball, with outer skin removed, no larger as you will not get the bacon or)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices uncooked bacon or 8 slices pancetta, slices
- 1Cook the onions in boiling water until tender, but not falling apart (about 25 minutes).
- 2Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and cool.
- 3When cool enough to handle, cut off about an inch off of top of onions with a very sharp knife, and finely chop the tops.
- 4Trim the root end of the onions slightly, just enough so they can stand straight.
- 5Scoop out about a heaping tablespoon from the center of each onion (make certain to keep the inside intact) and finely chop the center, adding to the rest of the chopped onions.
- 6Transfer the hollowed onions to an oiled baking dish (I use an 11x7-inch for 8 onions, if you are only making 4 onions, then use an 8x8-inch).
- 7Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 8In a skillet over medium heat, saute the chopped onions for about 3 minutes in oil.
- 9Stir in whipping cream and remove from heat.
- 10Stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- 11Fill the whole onions with some of the sauted onion and Parmesan mixture, then spoon the remainder of the mixture around the onions in the baking dish.
- 12Wrap a piece of pancetta or a bacon slice around the middle of each onion and secure with a toothpick.
- 13Bake the onions for about 40-50 minutes (depending on the size of your onions).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon-Wrapped Baked Onions
Serving Size: 1 (1370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.7
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 69.9 mg
- Sodium 442.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 10.3 g