Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from the latest Cooking Light, I am dying to make it but haven't had a chance yet; want it here so I can get the ingredients after work.
- 4 cups chicken stock, good quality
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped and fresh
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup arborio rice, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup madeira wine
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, fresh and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat large dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon to pan, cook 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon.
- Add shallots, oil, thyme, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook six minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mushrooms, cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Madeira, cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 c stock, cook 4 minutes or until liquid absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining stock, 1/2 c at a time, until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next (25 minutes total).
- Stir in spinach, cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon, and serve immediately.
This is awesome. We have made it two times already. The first time it was a little salty so the next time we used a low sodium broth and it was much better. Don't add the salt until you taste!