Recipe by English_Rose
A tasty pie that is simple to make and is sure to be popular with the whole family. Serve with baked beans or peas for a mid-week meal. A James Martin recipe.
Top Review by LilKiwiChicken
I made this today for lunch, and it was fantastic comfort food on a winter's day. (It's been sunny mind you). There's something so lovely about smoky bacon, cheese, potato & onions all together, baking happily in the oven. Unfortunately there were no leftovers, but I bet they'd be great heated up. Thanks English Rose.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 9 ounces bacon, cut into strips
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes until soft. Drain and mash.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat and cook the bacon in half the butter and the oil in a frying pan until just beginning to brown and crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions to the pan. Add seasoning and the sugar. Fry gently until the onions are soft and caramelized. Take care not to allow them to burn.
- Return the bacon to the pan and stir evenly through the onions. Add a little broth or water to de-glaze the pan and then tip the mixture into a heatproof dish.
- Add the remaining butter and 4oz of the cheese to the potato. Season and mix well. Preheat the broiler to high.
- Spoon the mixture over the onions and bacon, scatter with the remaining cheese and top with the slices of tomato.
- Place under a hot grill until the cheese is melted and brown. Serve.