Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma: Breakfast Comforts'
Make and share this Bacon and Cheddar Cornmeal Johnnycakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 thick slices applewood smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 2⁄3 cups white cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter, at room temperature, for serving
- honey, for serving (or pure cane syrup, pure maple syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 200°; have ready a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp and golden, about 6 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off and reserve the fat, leaving a thin film of fat in the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk just until combined.
- Fold in the bacon and cheese.
- Reheat the frying pan over medium heat until hot.
- For each johnnycake, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and cook until bubbles form on the surface, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Flip and cook the other side until golden, about 1 minute more.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Repeat until all the batter is used, greasing the pan with more reserved fat, as needed.
- Serve the johnnycakes piping hot, with plenty of butter and honey.