In 'Williams-Sonoma: Breakfast Comforts'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 thick slices applewood smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 2/3 cups white cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter, at room temperature, for serving
- honey, for serving (or pure cane syrup, pure maple syrup)
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°; have ready a rimmed baking sheet.
- 2In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 3Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp and golden, about 6 minutes.
- 4Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- 5Pour off and reserve the fat, leaving a thin film of fat in the pan.
- 6In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- 7In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat.
- 8Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk just until combined.
- 9Fold in the bacon and cheese.
- 10Reheat the frying pan over medium heat until hot.
- 11For each johnnycake, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and cook until bubbles form on the surface, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 12Flip and cook the other side until golden, about 1 minute more.
- 13Transfer to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- 14Repeat until all the batter is used, greasing the pan with more reserved fat, as needed.
- 15Serve the johnnycakes piping hot, with plenty of butter and honey.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon and Cheddar Cornmeal Johnnycakes
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.2
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 140.6 mg
- Sodium 834.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 21.2 g