Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For Zaar World Tour 5. Spain/Portugal From The Cookbook of the Untited Nations,
Make and share this Bacalhau Do Ceu (Heavenly Cod) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs potatoes, boiled in jackets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs cod
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (opitional) or 1 egg yolk (opitional)
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Peel potatoes and slice about 3/4 of them, reserve for later use.
- Mash the remaining potatoes with the butter and milk, reserve for later use.
- Heat oil in 12 inch skillet and cook the onion until they are yellow.
- Cut codfish in small pieces and add to skillet.
- Cook 30 minutes on low.
- Bechamel Sauce:.
- Melt butter, stir in flour, salt and white pepper.
- Slowly add the hot chicken stock and scalded milk.
- Stir constantly over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Tomato paste (option) add to give flavor and color.
- Egg yolk (option) beaten egg for yellow color sauce is desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 quart casserole.
- In the casserole dish, put a layer of codfish and onions, a layer of potatoes, eggs, bechamel sauce.
- Keep layering until all ingredients are used.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Brush with egg yolk.
- Bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown.