Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time. If time is short, substitute canned chick peas, well drained, for the dried. From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dry salt cod fish, soaked overnight in several changes of water
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 18 green olives, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) canspanish sweet peppers, thinly sliced (chili morones)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon onion juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Drain cod, cover with water and cook until tender.
- Cook potatoes in their skins; remove skins and slice.
- Boil chick peas and remove skins.
- Place alternate layers of potatoes, cod, peas, olives and peppers in a casserole dish, clay cazuela, or tagine with the final layer being peppers and olives.
- Season tomatoes highly with salt, pepper and onion juice; add to the casserole.
- Pour olive oil over all and bake at 300F for 90 minutes.