Recipe by Vicki in CT
Southern Tradition. My grandmother makes this every Christmas and Thanksgiving. Please note that my grandmother cooks by "eye" and taste, so you may need to adjust ingredients, i.e. more or less stock, bisquits, etc. The dressing should be moist but not runny before cooking. 11/27/09 Please NOTE my above message...if you are not comfortable cooking by approximations then do NOT try this recipe. I have written this by watching my grandmother and measurements are indeed different everytime. This was recorded so that I can continue the tradition into the future when she is no longer able to make this for us.
Top Review by Annette Morgan
I'm sure your grandmother's dressing is great, but this is not enough info for someone new to southern cornbread dressing. 1) How much cornbread is two loaves? Either give the recipe for the cornbread or tell how many cups. 2) What is "seasoning, to taste"? You need to list the actual herbs/spices and approximate amounts such as 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.
- 6 biscuits, cooked and crumbled
- 3 (32 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or more)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 loaves cornbread, cooked and crumbled
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- seasoning, to taste
- baby's giblet gravy
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion and celery in two cans of broth until tender. Add butter and cream of chicken soup. Stir until melted and remove from heat.
- In a VERY large bowl place crumbled cornbread and biscuits. Add eggs and green onion. Toss to combine.
- Pour broth mixture over crumb mixture. Mash together using hands. This is when you decide how much of the third can of broth you need. Should be moist but not runny. This will depend on the type of cornbread you use and how many biscuits you put inches.
- Pour into greased casserole and bake at 350 degrees for at least 45 minutes until browned on top.
- For a one dish meal can layer in cooked cubed chicken or turkey.