Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 mins
This recipe will make about 48-50 appetizers but the recipe can be reduced but half, these are always the first to vanish at my get-togethers, but don't wait for the holidays to make these, serve these as a snack! This will work good with chicken in place of turkey, but the turkey is better!
- 48 slices pumpernickel cocktail bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 -7 cups finely chopped cooked turkey or 6 -7 cups cooked chicken
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups full-fat milk
- salt and black pepper
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (you can use more)
- 7 -8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 7 -8 firm plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Place the pumpernickel slices onto a large baking sheet; broil 6-inches from heat source for about 4 minutes (watch closely not to burn!) set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add in the chopped jalapeno, stir with wooden spoon for 1 minute.
- Add in flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add in the half and half cream; cook over medium heat whisking continously until thickened and hot.
- Add in the grated chedder cheese, stir until melted.
- Add in chopped turkey or chicken; season with salt and black pepper and cayenne (if using).
- Spoon EACH slice pumpernickel bread with the warm turkey/cheese mixture, then sprinkle with a small amount of grated Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle with the crumbled bacon .
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 3 minutes or until the Parmesan is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with a tomato slice then serve.