Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy and elegant almond cookies.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 ounces almond paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup turbinado sugar (optional)
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- Mix together all ingredients except granulated sugar and pastry.
- Beat at low speed until well blended.
- Sprinkle 1 tbs sugar on flat surface.
- Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry onto sugared surface.
- Sprinkle with another 1 tbs sugar.
- Roll into a 12-inch square.
- Cut square into 2 rectangles (12x6).
- Spread 1/4 of almond mix on each rectangle.
- Roll both 12-inch sides in toward center of pastry.
- Continue rolling until they meet in the center, then firmly press layers together.
- Repeat with other rectangle.
- Repeat all with second pastry sheet.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400°F and cut rolls into 24 slices with sharp knife.
- Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Optional- sprinkle cookies with turbinado, raw, or granular sugar.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on rack.