Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
In this recipe the tartness of the key-limes plays very well off the warm flavor of the cocoa powder and chili powder. Since I first made it I've tweeked it just a little but now I think it's more or less just right. The brown sugar and thyme are reminiscent of Caribbean cooking themes. Mild chili powder may be used if you don't want it to be too spicy; alternatively, if you want a spicier dish use more chili powder! You can store this marinade in the freezer prior to using, but once it has been used it should be discarded to prevent spoiling.
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons key lime juice, fresh-squeezed (about 6 large key limes)
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder, pure
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, fresh chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Blend all ingredients together in blender until smooth.
- Marinate thawed cuts of meat in the mixture for at least two hours, or in refridgerator overnight.
- Grill on hot flame until thoroughly cooked.