From Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmanglij. In the list of ingredients is also 1 Tbsp angelica powder but the recipe editor would not let me add it. This is untried by me so far, but I plan on making it this winter while pomegranites are in season. It took me quite some time to find angelica powder. I found it in a magic speciality shop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Baby Spinach, washed and drained
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, shredded (or 2 tsp dried mint)
- 1Heat 4 Tbsp oil in a medium, heavy pot over medium heat.
- 2Add cumin and stir fry for 20 seconds until aromatic.
- 3Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute.
- 4Add rice flour and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- 5Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- 6Stir in the pomegranate juice, salt, pepper, cinnamon, sugar, angelica powder, spinach and mint. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and smmer over low for 15 minutes.
- 7Adjust seasonings to taste; the soup should be sweet and sour.
- 8Pour the soup into a tureen and garnish with the mint flakes, pomegranite seeds and walnuts.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Azerbaijani Pomegranate and Spinach Soup (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.4
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1197.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 50.7 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: