Recipe by Kiwiwife
OK,this is a lot of work, but SOOOOOO worth it! My daughter and I watched America's Test Kitchen and decided to try it. There are a lot of steps, but could be adapted with a variety of light toppings and made ahead to the point of second grilling for company. Good luck, can't wait to see whos brave enough to try it. Enjoy! For the calorie minded, I was surprised to see the calorie count but realized that it must be because of oil amount. You totally dont use the whole 1/3 cup of oil! Just brush liberally.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon instant fast rising yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs roma tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded italian fontina
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- IN food processor, blend first five ingredients. Mix oil and water and with processor running, drizzle until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.( May not take full amount, dough should be sticky).
- Place dough in oiled bowl covered in plastic wrap and leave for 2 hours.
- Gently pat and divide into four balls. Cover with plastic wrap on floured parchment paper and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core, seed, and chop tomatoes then place in colonder with 3/4 Tsp of salt. Let drain 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in saucepan with garlic and red pepper until simmering then remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix the two cheeses in bowl.
- Roll out dough to 9 by 9" circles. Place on floured sheetpan with parchment between to take to grill.
- Grill 2-4 minutes until browned on one side. Put grilled side up and bring back inside. Brush liberally with oil mixture, top with cheese and tomatoes, and put it back on the grill,closed,(raw side down) until cheese it melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil>.