photo by 1mpk1980
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
2 14 inch pizzas
- 1 3⁄4 cups water, divided 1/2 cup warm, remaining at tap temperature
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry active yeast (1 envelope)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing dough
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- vegetable oil, for oiling bowl (or cooking spray)
- semolina, for dusting peel
- Measure 1/4 cup of warm water into 2-cup measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until yeast dissolves and swells, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup warm water plus remaining 1 1/4 cups tap water and olive oil.
- Meanwhile, pulse flour and salt in workbowl of large food processor fitted with steel blade to combine.
- Add liquid ingredients (holding back a tablespoon or so) to flour and pulse together. If dough does not readily form into ball, stop machine, add remaining liquid, and continue to pulse until ball forms. Process until dough is smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds longer.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface; knead by hand with a few strokes to form smooth, round ball.
- Put dough into medium-large, oiled bowl, and cover with damp cloth. Let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface and use chef’s knife or dough scraper to halve, quarter, or cut dough into eighths, depending on number and size of pizzas desired. Form each piece into ball and cover with damp cloth. Working with one piece of dough at a time, shape into rounds as thick/thin as desired. Use your hands to stretch the dough into shape, rather than a rolling pin.
- Transfer to pizza peel that has been lightly coated with semolina, brush dough very lightly with olive oil before topping and cooking.
- Use the following guide to determine cooking time for pizza crust with topping but without cheese. All pizzas need to be cooked an additional two or three minutes after adding cheese, or until cheese is completely melted.
- THIN CRUST.
- 14-inch pizzas (Master Recipe makes 2) - 7 to 8 minutes.
- 12-inch pizzas (Master Recipe makes 4) - 5 minutes.
- 8-inch pizzas (Master Recipe makes 8)- 3 minutes.
- MEDIUM-THICK CRUST.
- 12-inch pizzas (Master Recipe makes 2) - 9 to 10 minutes.
- 8-inch pizzas (Master Recipe makes 4) - 5 minutes.
- 6-inch pizzas (Master Recipe makes 8) - 4 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!