Recipe by Malriah
I found this recipe in a Betty Crocker computer cookbook. So good ol' Betty gets kudos for this DELICIOUS side dish. The boyfriend loves it so much he asked me to cook it when his father and step-mother were in town. (I think he was trying to impress them with my cooking abilities because he had me make my Stuffed Summer Squash also, which I have yet to post here on 'Zaar, but its coming). Anyway, the water chestnuts add an awesome crunch and they go very well with the lemon. we like it spicy, so watch the pepper sauce. Enjoy!
Top Review by ThreeGoodCooks
A nicely flavored rice dish with a crunchy surprise! I love water chestnuts and the lemon and hot pepper sauce add a great flavor to the rice without being too much. Very good!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 4 -6 drops red pepper sauce (I use Tabasco)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 5 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized sauce pan,bring rice, water, bouillon cubes and pepper sauce to a boil.
- Stir once or twice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes (DON'T lift the cover).
- Remove from heat and stir in water chestnuts, green onions and lemon zest.
- Recover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.