Recipe by Evelyn in KC
These brownies soothe the most intense chocolate cravings. You can't taste the coffee liqueur; it adds depth and richness. They lend themselves to multiple variations, too! I've added raspberry chips, nuts, etc., all with great success.
- 1 cup shortening
- 14 tablespoons cocoa (1 c. less 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup coffee liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt shortening and cocoa together in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add sugar to eggs and mix.
- Add cocoa mixture to egg mixture.
- Add vanilla extract and coffee liqueur to cocoa/egg mixture.
- Add flour mixture, and stir until mixed.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan.
- The batter will be thick.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Do not overbake.
- Put brownies on a cool surface, such as a protected countertop, after removing them from the oven so that they do not continue to cook.
- Bon appetit!