Recipe by WJKing
My mom's award-winning corn pie! This is such a GREAT variation on traditional corn side dishes. This recipe is ALWAYS requested, so be prepared. Don't skimp on the cracker crumbs - I go heavy on them in the recipe - and this is truly the best when you use butter-flavored crackers (Club crackers or similar) - just not the same w/ saltine-type crackers. Enjoy this! I usually always double this recipe and make two pies, 'cuz everyone takes seconds (and thirds!) This also is simple to make ahead, then just bake when you're ready - perfect for after church or when you're in a hurry!
Top Review by Teresacooks
yum.I used Trader Joe's frozen organic corn, which is super sweet and tasty, we made this for Christmas, and it was a big hit. Personally I could live on this stuff. Next year I'll try making it in advance, it was quite good reheated.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter-flavored cracker crumbs (we prefer Club brand crackers in the green box)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups fresh corn or 2 cups canned corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine crumbs and melted butter, reserving 1/2 cup of crumbs for topping.
- Line a 9" pie pan with remaining crumbs.
- Combine 2 T butter, 1 cup milk, corn and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook 3 minutes.
- Add flour to remaining 1/4 cup milk; mix to a smooth paste.
- Add slowly to hot corn/milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, or until thick.
- Cool slightly.
- Add onion salt, then add eggs slowly, stirring constantly.
- Pour into crumb-lined pie pan.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.