Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A serving of this hearty dish is a great chill-chaser on cool fall days.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb fully cooked Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow peppers or 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot heat oil.
- Cook the sausage, onion, mushrooms, pepper strips, and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes or till vegetables are just tender.
- Add the water, cabbage, lentils, vinegar, brown sugar, bouillon, and 1/8 tsp.
- freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or till vegetables and lentils are tender.
Yep, this is a keeper! Loved the flavor, and better the next day. Didn't change anything, just cooked it longer than suggested. Thanks!!