Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe was published in Favorite Brand Name Classic Mexican Recipes and makes a wonderful salad for a Mexican theme dinner.
Top Review by UmmBinat
A! DH ate this all up and supposedly doesn't like avocado!!! I used, organic apple cider vinegar, freshly squeezed orange juice, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, an unrefined extra virgin olive oil, regular tomatoes that were pretty hard like plum ones. The cilantro was wonderful in this. I had to use sweet white onion as it is all I had on hand, did not add any jalapeno pepper as we don't do hot. Also left off the lettuce this time as I was in need of a shopping. I will make this again for sure!
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 fresh plum tomatoes, about 1/2 pound
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small shallot
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (may remove the seeds for a milder dish)
- 2 large firm ripe avocados
- 2 -3 cups shredded lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the vinegar, orange juice, orange peel, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk in oil until dressing is thoroughly blended.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, shallot and jalapeno, toss lightly to mix; allow to stand, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 hours to blend flavors.
- Just before serving, cut avocados lengthwise into halves; remove and discard pit, cut the avocados lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Arrange the avocados over chilled, lettuce lined plates; top with tomato relish and garnish with a spring of cilantro, orange peel or tomato wedge.