Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Must use California (Hass) avocados!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed Hass avocado
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts (or chopped pecans)
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Lightly butter/grease two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
- Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla, beat well, add avocado and oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients.
- Beat at medium speed until smooth (mixture may be quite thick; you may add 1/2 cup water or so to thin out a bit, but mixture should still be thick).
- Add chopped nuts last, stir in to mix well.
- Pour mixture into the two greased loaf pans and bake.
- for 50-60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans.
- Cool thoroughly before slicing.
This recipe was unfortunately a big letdown. I followed the directions to the letter- well, okay, I added a bit more cinnamon ;o) - using tools and household appliances that are in top shape. The house filled with a wonderful baking aroma while this wonderful stuff underwent its (supposed) metamorphosis. I removed the loaf from the oven and discovered that while the top was a rich brown, the middle was still a thick pasty dough. I put the loaf back in for another 10 minutes. It was a bit darker on top and still somewhat doughy in the middle. 10 more minutes in the oven. Now the edges had carbonized, but the toothpicks *seemed* to come out clean. After letting the loaf cool, the middle of the top had sunk. The center was sticky and wet- essentially heated dough. I carved off what I could salvage. A lesser woman would be crying. I'm just bummed I wasted my resources. I will say that what DID bake in 80 minutes is good...
This bread was just excellent! As I write this we've already gobbled up one loaf and can't wait to have the other with breakfast tomorrow. This turned out very moist and yummy. I assed the 1/2 cup of water to the batter and had to use a mix of pecans and walnuts, as I didn't have enough of either one. Thanks so much. Made this for ZWT4 for the Chic Chefs.
Really really enjoyed this recipe. Even the kids liked it. I didn't exactly have 1/2 cup avocado and the dough was dry so I added some milk to make it wetter and it turned out great!