Recipe by karen
When I was a kid, my mom would make open faced tuna salad, tomato with a slice of American cheese broiled on an English muffin. Since I didn't like tuna salad or tomatoes, she always made me an egg salad & cheese. My adult taste buds have evolved, and I modified the recipe for dinner tonight, and was thrilled with the result.
Top Review by Baby Kato
I have an abundance of avocados, so I went looking for a recipe to enjoy them with....What a lovely treat this was. I enjoyed this for breakfast today, so glad that I tried it. Wow, what flavor and textures, it was excellent. Quick and really easy to make, also very easy to vary. Made as written; using sourdough baguette and marbled cheddar. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will enjoy often.
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 dash salt
- 1 hamburger bun, sliced in half (or English muffin)
- 1⁄3 avocado
- 3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- To hard boil eggs, place eggs in pot of water with the water level just slightly above the eggs. Bring water to a boil and boil for 12 minutes.
- Drain water from pot, and refill with cold water. Crack eggs by lightly tapping on the side of the sink and peel under running cold water.
- Use egg slicer to make egg slices, then turn the slices 90 degrees and slice again, mincing the eggs. If you don't have an egg slicer, you can mash with a fork.
- Combine eggs with just enough mayonnaise to get all of the eggs wet. Adjust the mayonnaise amount as needed.
- Add dash of salt to eggs and mix.
- At this point, the egg salad can be refrigerated in a sealed carton to be used for the sandwich later, or the sandwich can be made with the warm egg salad.
- To assemble, place half of the egg salad on each half of the hamburger bun or English muffin.
- Slice the avocado into small slices and place on top of egg salad.
- Cover with cheese.
- Place open faced sandwiches on a pie plate or small low sided pan.
- Broil on top rack in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the edges of the bread are lightly browned. Watch it carefully so that the bread does not burn.
- NOTE: The egg salad is best with regular mayo, not light mayo. If you are going to eat the egg salad cold instead of broiling it, the taste is much better the day after making it. Seal in a carton and refrigerate overnight for the best flavor.