Recipe by Cookin Kit
If you like carrot cake, you'll love this amazing creation. Its unique blend of butterscotch, carrots and ricotta cheese give this cake a moist texture and unique flavor sensation unlike any other. Avalanche Cake is sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
Top Review by Mirj
This cake really didn't do it for me. First, there is a tremendous amount of ricotta cheese in a recipe that doesn't really make a cheesecake. I also don't know why the recipe calls for marble cake mix. I didn't know what to do with the cocoa packet. I tossed it in with the rest of the cake mix. I think that was a mistake. Between the chocolate in the cake mix, the carrots, the butterscotch chips and the almond extract, there were too many conflicting flavors in the cake, and they did not go well together. Also, with the sugar that's already in the cake mix, the sugar in the butterscotch chips and an additional cup of sugar, that's A LOT of sugar. Then there's almost 5 cups of sugar in the frosting. I just found the cake too sweet for us. At 350 degrees for well over an hour (it took about 1 1/2 hours till the skewer came out clean), the high temp caused the ricotta in the cake to crack the top, like a cheesecake, but the frosting could cover that up. If using the full two cups of ricotta I should have baked the cake at a lower temp for longer. I would definitely try it again, but leave out the carrots and cut back to maybe one cup of ricotta cheese. I would also cut back on the sugar, and probably just dust the cake with some powdered sugar instead of frosting it. This cake has a lot of potential.
- 1 duncan hines fudge marble cake mix
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- shortening, to coat cake pan
- flour, to coat cake pan
For icing you will need
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely shredded pecans (I use a salad shooter)
- 4 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour bundt pan.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a very large bowl, combine cake mix, sugar, ricotta cheese, eggs, vanilla& almond extract.
- Beat well.
- Stir in the carrots and butterscotch chips.
- Pour mixture into cake pan.
- Bake at 350 for at least 1 hour and 10 minutes (longer if needed).
- I use a bamboo skewer to determine when cake is done.
- Poke cake with skewer.
- If skewer comes out clean, cake is finished baking.
- If skewer comes out with gooey substance, bake longer.
- When completely cool, turn out of pan& prepare icing.
- For icing: Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla together.
- Beat well.
- Gradually add 2 C.
- powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add another 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 C.
- powdered sugar until reaching a good spreading consistency.
- Finally, stir in pecans.
- Once cake is completely cool ice with above frosting.
- Cover and store cake in refrigerator.